Goal: North Carolina public schools will produce globally competitive students.
- Every student excels in rigorous and relevant core curriculum that reflects what students need to know and demonstrate a global 21st Century environment, including a mastery of languages, an appreciation of the arts, and competencies in the use of technology.
- Every student’s achievement is measured with an assessment system that informs instruction and evaluates knowledge, skills, performance, and dispositions needed in the 21st Century.
- Every student will be enrolled in a course of study designed to prepare them to stay ahead of international competition.
- Every student uses technology to access and demonstrate new knowledge and skills that will be needed as a life-long learner to be competitive in a constantly changing international environment.
- Every student has the opportunity to graduate from high school with an Associates Degree or college transfer credit.
Goal: North Carolina public schools will be led by 21st Century professionals.
- Every teacher will have the skills to deliver 21st Century content in a 21st Century context with 21st Century tools and technology that guarantees student learning.
- Every teacher and administrator will use a 21st Century assessment system to inform instruction and measure 21st Century knowledge, skills, performance, and dispositions.
- Every education professional will receive preparation in the interconnectedness of the world with knowledge and skills, including language study.
- Every education professional will have 21st Century preparation and access to ongoing high quality professional development aligned with State Board of Education priorities.
- Every educational professional uses data to inform decision.
Goal: North Carolina public school students will be healthy and responsible.
- Every learning environment will be inviting, respectful, supportive, inclusive, and flexible for student success.
- Every school provides an environment in which each child has positive, nurturing relationships with caring adults.
- Every school promotes a healthy, active lifestyle where students are encouraged to make responsible choices.
- Every school focuses on developing strong student character, personal responsibility, and community/world involvement.
- Every school reflects a culture of learning that empowers and prepares students to be life-long learners.
Goal: Leadership will guide innovation in North Carolina public schools.
- School professionals will collaborate with national and international partners to discover innovative transformational strategies that will facilitate change, remove barriers for 21st Century learning, and understand global connections.
- School leaders will create a culture that embraces change and promotes dynamic continuous improvement.
- Educational professionals will make decisions in collaboration with parents, students, businesses, education institutions, and faith-based and other community and civic organizations to impact student success.
- The public school professionals will collaborate with community colleges and public and private universities and colleges to provide enhanced educational opportunities for students
Goal: North Carolina public schools will be governed and supported by 21st Century systems.
- Processes are in place for financial planning and budgeting that focuses on resource attainment and alignment with priorities to maximize student achievement.
- Twenty-first century technology and learning tools are available and are supported by school facilities that have the capacity for 21st Century learning.
- Information and fiscal accountability systems are capable of collecting relevant data and reporting strategic and operational results.
- Procedures are in place to support and sanction schools that are not meeting state standards for student achievement.